Jul 5, 2014

Flower Printing

Today marks day 5 of Traci Bautista's Printmaking challenge! The creative prompt is: "Flower".
I'll show you how I incorporated a flower into my printmaking. 

 I took a piece of lightweight paper and rolled out some white, Pthalo blue, and light blue paint with a soft rubber brayer. Next, I laid down a palm leaf on top of the paper and spray painted with Krylon Yellow (Sunshine Burst). 

I had a few rough cut-outs of three ovals and just laid them down, too. I gave these oval shapes some life by transforming them into the petals of an iris. (Loosely drawn; I wasn't trying to be too representational, here!)

Take a look!

embellished flower print by Martice Smith II
Iris & Palm Leaf---Mixed-media: acrylic, spray paint, water-soluble pencil, graphite, spray glitter, oil pastel and embroidery floss on paper.

detail of embellished flower print by Martice Smith II

detail of embellished flower print by Martice Smith II
I used white oil pastel to heighten the rough texture that was created with the acrylic and spray paint. (Those little speckles are glitter!)

detail of embellished flower print by Martice Smith II
I added embroidery floss to frame the iris and, also, to make the yellow more vibrant. (Adding complementary colors will do that!) Plus, yellow is one of my favorite colors...

detail of embellished flower print by Martice Smith II




No comments:

Post a Comment

The best conversation happens in the comments section!